PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

7.26.2012

Revisiting a summer classic: drive-in theatres


At the start of this summer (before the temperature would hit 106 for several days straight), and when my husband and I found out we were pregnant, I made a list of all the things I wanted to do this summer. Some of them were pretty obvious, Royals games, trips to the pool, utilizing our grill (which never happens) and going to the drive-in movie theatre.

Matthew has never been to the drive-in, which is shocking to me since I remember going almost every weekend as a kid when we'd spend time at the lake. I have such wonderful memories of piling into the minivan with my parents and sister, setting out the lawn chairs and finding the right station on the radio so we could hear the movie. My mom has memories of going to the drive-in when she was a teen, but hers are a little naughtier than mine!

It saddens me that 1.) Matthew has yet to experience watching a movie outside and 2.) drive-ins are all but extinct now.

Luckily, we have a few left in Kansas City and if the weather is in my favor this weekend, I'm making the husband take me to the Boulevard Drive-In. This weekend they are playing the newest Ice Age and Dark Knight Rises, which may be slightly creepy given last week's tragic event.  Either way, I'm really looking forward to revisiting one of my favorite summer memories as a kid and experiencing a new one with Matthew.

Do you have any great childhood summer memories? I'd love to hear them!


- Melina



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment