PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

11.12.2012

Lawrence Babymoon

Matthew and I didn't indulge in a big "babymoon" trip for one reason. I believe all expensive, romantic trips should involve booze. The idea of going to a beach, NYC, Napa Valley or anywhere else for that matter just sounds lame when you can't drink lots of alcohol. And lets be honest, dressing up is getting so exhausting at this point in the pregnancy.

BUT I didn't want to completely forgo the new tradition of babymooning, so we decided to travel a few miles and visit Lawrence.  I left my Tiger heart in Kansas City and showed Matthew what little I knew of the Jayhawk town- mainly Mass St.

We stayed at the historic Eldridge hotel, and it really was beautiful. It's small but our room was spacious, and it's the perfect location for anyone wanting to stay downtown. The rooms were also very reasonable priced.



Once we checked in that afternoon, we made our way down Mass St. First stop, lunch at Free State Brewery. Great food and a great beer selection. Matthew got an IPA while I had my own tasting glass of a pale ale.

Matthew's beer: Northern Lights IPA


After lunch we hit up a few shops. One of our favorites, was Made. It reminded me of an Etsy store filled with local, handmade gift items. We also really liked Hobbs, which had a great selection of men's clothes; Matthew was in heaven!

handmade leather wallets at Made


The only thing we actually purchased on Mass St. ended up being a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies. Hey, this was a "babymoon" and all that shopping made me hungry!

That evening, we had dinner a few blocks from our hotel at Panchamamas.  The dinner was good. I had wreckfish and Matthew got the ribeye. We liked it, but I'm not sure I'd go back. The ambiance was a little dated, and we knew Lawrence had to have some cooler places to discover. 

After dinner we ventured closer to our hotel and stopped in 715. Now, this was what we were looking for. We sat at the bar and Matthew had a few cocktails, me a great mocktail. We were so envious of everyone around us eating. The menu looked insane! Our bartender said the steak and grilled porkchop were the best things on the menu, but I was eyeing the goat gnocchi. We're talking about going back to Lawrence just to have a meal at this place. It seriously looks worth the drive.

my mocktail at 715

view of the bar at 715

Matthew's cocktail, the Hog Wash Sazarac, made with rye infused pork fat!

While it may look like we made it a late night, we were back to our hotel room by 10 p.m. with a piece of chocolate cake in hand. We had a very nice babymoon, but we're definitely ready to meet this baby. Only 7 more weeks!

- Melina

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment